Saturday, February 16, 2008

Family Journal

A big reason we started this blog was to keep a family journal of our daily lives and happenings. I often feel the guilt of not working on my family history and decided that this was one way I could do my part. And although I was inconsistent through 2007, I still managed to record more than I ever had before and was happy. But I worried about the electronic format. Would it save forever for posterity? And then I discovered blurb.com.


They were listed in one of my magazines, probably Domino or Lucky, as a place to print cheap and nice photo books. I know Shutterfly, Snapfish, and other such sites do books like this and I ordered one last year. I was disappointed. I actually think I got it from , maybe the other sites do better work. So I was wary about spending money on another one, but really wanted to find someone who did great work - for a reasonable price. And when I checked out blurb's website I realized they more than those photo sites. They are more of a publish-you-own book kind of place. They do photo books, portfolios, wedding books, cookbooks, and ... BLOG BOOKS.


Blurb actually has free software that allows you to "slurp" all the posts, including pictures, from your blog and automatically format them into a book. And then they give you a lot of editing tools to fix them up to your liking before publishing. I was fairly impressed with the range of layout and editing options - I couldn't do everything I wanted, but for free software they are thorough. And then they publish the book for you - even giving you the option to sell copies to others. They have an online bookstore. I'm sure I'll make millions. But after ordering my one copy - I waited anxiously to judge the final product. When it came yesterday Aaron and I anxiously ripped open the package and looked through the book together. Success! We love it. We ordered a hardback with a paper dust jacket (customized) and I am so pleased with the product. I kept most of my pictures small - I do have our family photo album too - and let the journal entries take center stage. I will definitely do this every year. Finally I can check off "keep a journal" from my life's goals.

8 comments:

Susan said...

Wow, the book looks incredible. What a great idea. I'll have to check out their website.

Tannis said...

For Christmas, Shelci made our family a book that she ordered from blurb.com! Such a good idea.

Anonymous said...

ooooh, it looks awesome! i'm so jealous. you guys are like celebrities! famous! i love the combination of little pictures and text. you could make a highlights book or something to give your kids when they leave home.

and how cool that the johnsons are mentioned in your book!! woo-hooo.

Shauna said...

I've been wanting to try blurb too! I'm glad that you are pleased with the final result. I'll have to add that to my never ending to-do list. :)

Marcy said...

Cool, I made it in the book too! I think it looks great. What a fun way to journal!

Lori said...

i will forever be in your debt, i've been stewing over how to do the same thing. so thanks for sharing and keeping me informed. i know i can always count on you to know good stuff.

Unknown said...

I love the blurb site as well and have been meaning to slurp my blog into a book for a few months. Thanks for the motivation. it looks great!

Zoe said...

Oh my gosh!! I started a blurb book too for my blog! I have abandend it for months though - seeing yours makes me want to complete it. That is awesome!