Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Family Home Evening

I had a goal to start holding weekly Family Home Evenings in 2008. It has not gone well, but a few times are better than nothing. We usually do it just with Alden after Emmett goes to bed, but last week we had our first FHE with four of us. It went quite well I thought. Emmett is starting to want a turn praying, even if sometimes he won't repeat anything. And he participates in singing a little. Aaron and I are in nursery and I am amazed at how much Emmett is learning in there. The other day I was trying to put him down for a nap and he was singing, "A sunbeam, a sunbeam" over and over. It was actually when I realized how much Alden was learning in nursery last year that I knew we needed to start FHE. I always assumed he was too young, but he wasn't and was feeling the serious need to start teaching my children myself, rather than just leaving it up to their church teachers. This picture is of the boys eating their fancy ice cream sundaes after FHE. Mini vanilla scoops, with chocolate sauce, whipped cream, and sprinkles.

4 comments:

Susan said...

Good for you. It's hard to have FHE when the kids are little and have about a 30 second attention span! We're pretty good at having FHE every week, but it's always VERY quick.

mkt said...

Good luck! We've been working on this too and it is sometimes a trial, but the kids get so excited about it that I know we have to keep going! We've learned to keep it short and sweet and use lots of object lessons and attention getters. Leah often wants to teach the lesson so that's my next project.

Jane of Seagull Fountain said...

I am all for routine and saying this is FHE -- make of it what you will. Some weeks it's pretty good, and some weeks it's a pray and song. But, we "do" it.

Alden looks so grown up in the muscle shirt. Those boys are such cuties! MMMM.

[dene'] said...

we are "trying" FHE too and sometimes are better then others. It's the fact that we are trying right? THanks for your comments about grocery shopping. It's nice to know that I am not the only one suffering weekly from the event. [smile]