Wednesday, March 28, 2007

May the Force Be With You


A few weeks ago we were enjoying dinner at Auntie Candice and Uncle Steve-O’s home. At the end of the meal Candice pulls out a box of Star Wars DVDs and asks if they are ours. I had completely forgotten about them (Tara gave them to me 3 Christmases ago) and was quite pleased to have them back. Since we just purchased a home entertainment system and with Alden reaching that most impressionable age of 2 ½, I decided it was time to indoctrinate my first born in the ways of Star Wars! We watched all three original episodes (A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi) in one week and Alden was hooked. He was the ultimate X-wing pilot – enlisting everything from toy trains to stuffed monkeys to help fight off the evil Empire and Darth Vader, “He’s the Bad Guy!” Alas, Mom relented one Saturday and let me take the family to Target to find some Star Wars toys. Alden, Dad and brother-Emmett love playing Obi-Wan Kenobe and Darth Vader with realistic cape and light sabers. Ah, the joys of parenthood. This is truly why dads love our sons – it gives us an opportunity (and justification) to buy and play with all those cool toys we had to give up with puberty.

3 comments:

Cire said...

and you have two boys so far - lots of toys to buy! I'm sure glad I have my two boys to give me excuses to get the cool toys!

Blake Young said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Blake Young said...

Give up??? I never got the memo on having to give it up. I am just buying more to add to my existing collection. (looney tunes and cartoons primarily)