Thursday, March 6, 2008

Pancake Mix

I generally list pancakes as my favorite food - love the ones from IHOP and Martha Stewart's Best Buttermilk Pancakes recipe. I usually make Bisquick pancakes for our family but recently found a great recipe for a make-your-own mix, which saves a lot of money and tastes better too. This recipe comes via my friend Jane (What About Mom) who got it from her sister Marcy (Marcy & Adam) who apparently got it from the Mom's Make-a-Mix Cookbook (couldn't find this on Amazon - maybe title is different). I used half whole wheat flour just to be healthier - it makes for a heartier texture too.


Pancake Mix (from Mom’s Make-a-Mix Cookbook)

10 cups flour (you can do any combination of white and wheat flour; you can even add wheat germ or other healthy stuff)
2 1/2 cups instant nonfat dry milk (if you don’t have powdered milk, you can just always make it up with milk and buttermilk with no problems.)
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup baking powder
2 TB salt

Mix well & store in airtight container.


To make 12 3-inch pancakes:

1 1/2 cups Pancake Mix
1 egg, slightly beaten
1/4 cup buttermilk
3/4-1 cup milk or water
3 TB oil
Cook pancakes on high heat griddle. (I don’t know why pancake recipes call for high heat. I like to use just barely over medium.)

For more money-saving recipes check out The Recipe Box Swap at i have to say.

swap blogpost

5 comments:

Jane of Seagull Fountain said...

oh, well, i guess we talk about our mom like she is THE mom, so i can understand the confusion. the cookbook's simply "Make-a-Mix Cookbook" I believe. from the 70s or something. lots of casseroles and other good stuff.

put IHOP down for spring break, eh!!

Aaron said...

This is a delicious mix. I know my sons love it. Unfortunately I rarely get to enjoy my wife's great cooking since most of it consists of breakfasts long after I've left for work.

Anonymous said...

Now, this is something so practical that we could all use. We love pancakes here! Thanks.

Thriftin and Craftin said...

Thanks for the recipe. Can't wait to try it. My kids love pancakes!

Anonymous said...

I love having mixes on hand. Thanks so much for posting this!