Sunday, March 30, 2008

The Way His Mind Works

Alden is pretty funny sometimes. Some of the things he says make me think he might actually be listening sometimes. Take this scenario.
7:30am - Alden eats 1 bowl (kid-size) of cereal and declares himself done.
9:00am - Alden comes to me and complains about being hungry. I offer him some applesauce which he happily takes, getting himself a spoon.
9:15am - "Mommy, I ate my breakfast and had something healthy for lunch (the applesauce). Now can I have something with sugar in it?"

I love it when he asks me for something with sugar in it. I try to hide the smile though. This comes from all the times we talk to him about eating healthy food and although it's okay to have a treat sometimes, we don't want to eat too much sugar.

I interrupt this post to announce that Alden this instant (9:30am) came to me and said, "Mommy, I want something with sugar in it." I laughed out loud.

We usually try to give Alden healthier snacks in the mid-morning, you know, like 8am. He favors apples, bananas, cheese, yogurt, etc. Whenever he asks for a popsicle or cookie or the like, the things I indulge in all day long, I tell him maybe he can have some after lunch. Hence him thinking when he eats something semi-healthy at 9am, he can have sugar. I'm considering just feeding him a spoonful of sugar. To help the medicine go down.

2 comments:

Jane of Seagull Fountain said...

That boy is no dummy!

Love your picture of the week. What a handsome Roley, and a great new picture of your whole family. (In the picture you can't tell that it's already 90 million degrees there!)

mkt said...

Isn't it funny what kids pick up on.. Lincoln's word choice is "Mom, I want something that's not good for me."