Thursday, April 10, 2008

Happy Hundred!

I've seen a few blogs recently that did a post of 100 things about themselves for the 100th post on their blog. And I happened to notice I was at 95 posts at the time so I've been coming up with things in my head for the past week or two. I was also tagged for a meme by my friend Michele. Having never been chosen before I got that same thrill as I used to when I was picked for something on the playground. I always think memes are kind of silly, especially the passing of them like those cheesy internet stories forwarded by e-mail. But that was before someone chose me! So I will do Michele's meme as the first part of my 100. And I'm choosing to write about my whole family, rather than just me. And you're welcome for that.


  1. What were you doing 10 years ago?
    Wow, I’m trying to remember that far back. The Spring of 1998 I had my heart broken and dropped out of several classes, which necessitated my return to BYU in the fall of 2000 to finish my degree. Totally his fault.

  2. Five Things on my To-Do List Today (I’m counting each thing as one of my 100) – Laundry

  3. Make a list of all PVC parts needed to build our sprinkler system

  4. Call and get out of jury duty

  5. Pay various bills related to Roland’s birth

  6. Take the kids on a walk

  7. The snacks I enjoy
    Baked goods – cakes, cookies, brownies, etc. I love chocolate, but prefer it in a cake or cookie over a candy bar. Love ice cream too – but not necessarily with my baked treats.

  8. What would I do if I suddenly became a billionaire?
    GO SHOPPING – I love to shop and if I became a billionaire I would spend shameless amounts of money on our wardrobes. I would immediately hit a fancy mall and buy some clothes from the fancy stores I’m too scared to go in now. Eventually I would redo our house with all the attention to detail I can’t afford now, and pay someone to keep it clean all the time. Then buy houses in Europe, Eastern US, Washington/Oregon coast, and Northern AZ. We would travel a lot and always eat at the best restaurants. And you know, all that investment and savings stuff. And I suppose something helpful for my church, family, friends.

  9. Three bad habits – The need to have dessert every night – see #7.

  10. Biting my fingers on the sides of my nails – is that part of your cuticle?

  11. Blogging and playing on the computer before my housework is done.

  12. Five places I’ve lived – Born in Mesa, AZ

  13. Left for BYU in Provo, UT at age 17

  14. I did a brief stint at an apartment in Phoenix during ‘99/2000

  15. I lived with my friends, Lori & Blake, in Lindon, UT while I finished my last semester at BYU.

  16. Aaron & I moved our family to St. Petersburg, FL for 11 months in ‘05/’06

  17. Then back to Mesa again.

  18. Five jobs I’ve had – Kirby Vacuums, telemarketing

  19. BYU Moving Crew

  20. TA for O-Chem lab at BYU

  21. Manager at an agricultural lab

  22. Mother – the toughest job you’ll ever love

  23. Five Things People Don’t Know About Me – I was born with a large birthmark in the middle of my forehead. My Dad called me Spot and whistled for me like a dog. I had it removed at age 10.

  24. I was engaged twice before dating Aaron.

  25. I subscribe to seven magazines but sometimes don’t get one issue read until the next month’s comes. This phenomenon has only been in the last six months – hmmm, wonder why?

  26. I installed all of the new flooring in our house by myself. (I had a little help, but those people never read my blog!)

  27. I hate for anyone to be touching me while I sleep. This includes husbands and small boys that I enjoy snuggling with while awake.

  28. So – on to the rest of the 100 things about us Carpenters
    Aaron & I were both born in Mesa, at Desert Samaritan Hospital, 6 weeks apart. Him first.

  29. Alden was born at the same hospital.

  30. Aaron has 7 older siblings, and 2 younger sisters.

  31. I’m the oldest of 4 girls.

  32. Aaron & I met in preschool. Neither of us has a recollection of it, but we did find this picture of us sitting next to each other. I’m the witch and he’s the ghost. Both our younger sisters are in this picture too.

  33. Aaron had a finger shut in a door at age 2 & still has a deformity – okay, maybe that’s too strong a word. It’s on his left ring finger, which was bad for wedding photos.

  34. I broke my arm at age 9, which was extra bad because it was the summer (no swimming)

  35. Aaron & I met at Youth Conference for our Stake when we were 16.

  36. Our first date was the opening night of Jurassic Park.

  37. I was scared and held Aaron’s hand – very tightly!

  38. Aaron was a year behind me in school, even though he’s older

  39. We went to prom together, his.

  40. Aaron served in the Washington Tacoma mission.

  41. I graduated from BYU with a BA in Chemistry Education.

  42. I’m still friends with several of my lab partners.

  43. I did my student teaching at Mt. View HS in Mesa, AZ but never actually looked for a real teaching job.

  44. Instead I worked for a small agricultural lab, and then managed it.

  45. I’m hoping to get a Masters in Chemistry someday (when the boys are in school) and be able to teach at a community college.

  46. Aaron graduated from ASU with a BS in Information Systems, then a Masters in Accountancy & Information Systems

  47. He’s had 5 jobs already.

  48. Aaron currently works for the State of Arizona, Department of Health Services

  49. Aaron & I were married in the Mesa, AZ Temple on August 10, 2001.

  50. We have lived in the same house ever since we got married, except for the 11 months we were in Florida (we rented it out).

  51. It’s the house directly behind the one Aaron grew up in that his parents built. His grandparents built our house.

  52. We’ve remodeled it extensively and have plans to expand in 5 years or so. We just might stay here forever.

  53. Aaron & I spent a wonderful week in Vancouver, Canada about 2 months before Alden was born. Our best vacation yet.

  54. Alden was born Sept. 10, 2004, three years after we were married, four months after Aaron graduated, and one month after Aaron got a job.

  55. Alden cut his first two teeth at three months old. Not good for nursing.

  56. Alden loves Transformers, dinosaurs, and Scooby Doo. And Star Wars but we don’t let him watch them anymore because it makes him too violent.

  57. Emmett was born 20 months after his brother, May 10, 2006 – in St. Petersburg, FL.

  58. He is a monkey.

  59. We love him anyway.

  60. Emmett loves his blanket and bothering his big brother.

  61. Roland was born 20 ½ months after Emmett, January 30, 2008.

  62. I like to read, although I don’t spend as much time on it anymore. See this post for my favorites.

  63. I like to play softball, although I haven’t played in a few years now. Hoping they’ll have women’s softball at church before long.

  64. We lived in St. Petersburg, Florida for just under a year. We had season passes to Disneyworld and hit the beach frequently.

  65. We also made road trips to Atlanta, for a work conference, and South Carolina, to visit Aaron’s sister & family.

  66. We made some lifelong friends there, who happen to be bloggers too. See here and here.

  67. We love and support the Arizona Diamondbacks and the Phoenix Suns.

  68. Aaron is a huge ASU fan

  69. All the boys have ASU Sparky outfits

  70. Aaron is hobby-deficient even though Santa Claus brought him some golf clubs for Christmas (go figure)

  71. Our favorite non-human family member was Brittney the dog. She lived with Aaron for a year before we got married and lived with us until last summer.

  72. Our Bishop calls our boys the “clones” because they all have blond hair and look alike, especially when their mom dresses them in matching outfits.

  73. Tara had a great high school GPA, Aaron had a great college GPA. Guess who makes all the $ now.

  74. Aaron’s favorite band is Live

  75. Tara’s favorite band in Junior High was Air Supply. Now she likes country music and expanding her horizons musically.

  76. Tara’s nickname is Tare Bear. She slept with a stuffed teddy bear for 12 years before Aaron banished him from the bed (too much competition).

  77. In high school my nickname was Tarable. I still use it for my blogger ID and many other things.

  78. Aaron has a few nicknames: Roscoe (from youth conference), Bear, Sport, Charlie Brown (parents); Man (Candice); Ron (g-pa & brother Joe); and his favorite: Dadda (Alden, Emmett, & Roland)

  79. Alden’s nickname is Alden Bear, even though it’s longer. Emmett calls him Aldy.

  80. Emmett’s nickname is Emmy.

  81. Roland goes by Roley often. Or The Baby.

  82. I like to watch tv. Favorites include Law & Order, CSI, House, America’s Next Top Model, and recent favorites, American Idol, Project Runway, and So You Think You Can Dance.

  83. Aaron likes to watch sports.

  84. Aaron and I love to eat out together and are always game to try a new ethnic restaurant. When we travel our food bills are always the biggest expense.

  85. We once spent $350 on one dinner for the two of us. It was awesome!

  86. My favorite foods are pancakes and foie gras. Not together.

  87. Aaron’s favorite foods are pho, chocolate truffles, and popcorn.

  88. The boys love hot dogs and fish sticks. We’re working on expanding their palates.

  89. My favorite drink is Mountain Dew. I actually prefer the caffeine-free kind, but you can only get it in a few places, like Utah. Last summer we brought home 6 boxes (of 12 cans) and I made it last until Roland was born. When the Johnsons visited us during Spring Break this year Shannon brought me 5 boxes. I am currently looking for my next transporter.

  90. I love make-up, especially lip products, even though my face rarely gets done on a daily basis.

  91. Alden loves playing on the computer and is very proficient for a 3 ½ year old. He can log in to his profile by himself, typing his own password.

  92. Emmett skips when he runs.

  93. Emmett has the cutest gap between his front teeth.

  94. Roland has a dimple on the right side of his smile.

  95. Our boy’s names all fit a rigid criteria: between 700 and 1000 on the most popular names of the last ten years, top 100 during the 1920s, 2 syllables, and must belong only to old grandpas.

  96. I love DIY projects and tools. I love to learn new handy kinds of things.

  97. I love shopping (and spending money). Aaron tries his best to hold me back.

  98. Often I just love buying things, even if I have to return them later.

  99. Alden was the drooliest baby ever! Wait, he still is – it’s gross.

  100. Aaron is the best Daddy! He stays with those babies even when they’re fussy and eventually gets them calmed down.

    You can tell we were really reaching for ideas there at the end. Thanks for sticking in there (for those of you who read all 100 things). We’ll try to keep it more interesting from here on out.

6 comments:

Dave & Susie Crandell said...

I LOVED reading all 100 things! I learned a lot about you guys!

Jen Giorgis said...

Hey there...I have only checked out your blog one other time and I hope that you don't mind me leaving a comment. This is actually your #1 thing on the list sister. I know blast from the past. Hence the hope you don't mind part. Anyways, so fun to see your family and those beautiful boys!!! Check out my blog @ giorgisfamily.blogspot.com Hope all is well. It looks like it is. c/ya-Jen

Jane of Seagull Fountain said...

Hello -- suddenly became a billionaire! hope one of those new houses would be right next to mine!

Incredible that you can fit almost all the places you've ever lived (not counting each apt at college, etc) into the "5 places" item.

Hey, did you tell me your nickname was Spot when I started calling Lucy Spot?

My parents were both born at the same hospital -- 6 years apart, and then my little brother was born there too.

I'm so glad you guys moved to Florida!

Love #95! your kids' names certainly grow on me. How could they not when the kids are soooo cute!

Candice said...

Wow, I actually learned a new thing about you....$350 for a meal! wow! I could never do that, think of how many clothes you could buy for that! And for the record, I have NEVER call Aaron "Man". I don't know where that came from! Me and Mette both have called him "Aaron-ers"
Oh yea, thanks for changing my identity posting to just "Candice". Thanks for all the hard work on my background, I've had a few comments on it and they want to know if they can hire you to do theirs!!

Kristi said...

I think it's fun that you did this. I'm not sure I can think of that many things, but maybe I could. Maybe later! :o)

Kami Milliron said...

My Husband served in the Tacoma Washington Mission too !