Sunday, May 27, 2007

True Confessions of a Pediatrician Hopper

It's interesting how you choose this random person (hopefully not randomly) to be your children's pediatrician and they become a very important and influential person in your life - at least they can be. I had been very happy with our pediatrician group, having seen several different doctors and was worried about finding someone when we moved to Florida. But we lucked into a wonderful pediatrician, Dr. Lori (she's goes by her first name) and even recommended her to friends. She and the other doctor we saw occasionally were informative without being condescending, asked lists of comprehensive questions for well visits to ascertain all kinds of development, and didn't seem as rushed as other doctors we have been to. The office had a good staff, could always get us in very soon for sick visits, , and had the BEST waiting room I've ever seen. The worst part was dragging Alden from the toys or fish tank into the exam room, and then out to our car afterwards.

We were very lucky in FL but our office in AZ is no slouch and I assumed we would return as patients when we moved back home. I didn't count on my husband insisting that 20 min. is too far to drive and that we needed to find a closer pediatrician. I finally chose one the best I could from our insurance list and scheduled Emmett's 6 month well visit (it was only 12 min. away). Let's hit the highlights. They pricked Emmett's heel for an unnecessary test, squeezed it for 5 min. to make it bleed so they could collect blood, then left him to bleed profusely all over the exam room. The dr.'s only medical advice for my boys was to always put sunglasses on them to protect their eyes. He berated me for not having official copies of their vaccinations. He wanted me to take Emmett for blood work (a needle in his 6 mo. arm) because of the heel test. He refused to give Emmett the 2 shots I knew he needed, insisting that he had already had them. I barely managed to hold it together until we got to the car, where I dissolved into tears because of the bad feeling I got from this office. Luckily we were on new insurance and they were willing to pay for a lot of well visits before age 1 - so we went back to our regular pediatrician the next day. Emmett got his shots and I learned that he had ear infections in both ears (the crazy dr. neglecting to even look in there). Thankfully all is well now and we are very happy to be with a pediatrician that I respect and trust, and who respects and trusts us. When Aaron had a question about a medication prescribed to Emmett I told him to call the office and they put him on with the Dr. immediately. That's good service.

I read a book called You Just Don't Duct Tape a Baby: True Tales and Sensible Suggestions from a Veteran Pediatrician by Norman Weinberger. An excerpt from the publisher says:

[Dr. Weinberger] gives effective advice on everything from chicken pox
to autism, from special abilities to learning disabilities. He talks sensibly
about bedtime hassles, sibling rivalry, and adolescence. He provides meaningful
insights into thorny modern-day family issues, such as father involvement, loss
of a parent to divorce or death, stepfamilies, dual-career families, and single
parenthood. And he offers an inspiring perspective on how to teach kids to be
respectful, respectable individuals in an increasingly violent and morally
volatile society.
I would highly recommend this for humor and good suggestions on loads of stuff. But when you finish you will wonder where to find a pediatrician like this. If you ever find one, please let me know. They don't make great offices like this around here and I have to remind myself that I am very pleased with what we've got and never want to change... unless Dr. Weinberger starts practicing in Mesa.

2 comments:

shannon said...

i like this perspective because you didn't throw up your hands and write off the entire medical profession after an encounter with one obviously deficient doctor. instead, you did more research (or negotiation with Aaron) and went back to a doctor you trusted.

i know too many mothers who won't take their kids to any doctor because of a bad experience with one (or for some other reason).

i'd like to have dr. weinburger and dr. weissbluth (the healthy sleep habits guy) on call.

Marcy said...

Tara,

If you have the time, I think you should write a letter to the deficient doctor and tell him exactly what was wrong with his service. It might do some good and help out other patients that decide to go to him.

Sometimes you just have to go to the person you trust (or buy the brand you trust) even if it costs more money. Saves hassle in the end, doesn't it? Especially when it's something as important as a child's health. I can't believe a doctor who wouldn't look in a kid's ears!

Marcy